Do you have standing water in your basement? Have you noticed water pooling? Basement flooding can cause significant damage to your home and can even pose a health risk if mold and bacteria are present.
If you have a flooded basement, it is crucial to act quickly to minimize the damage to your home by contacting a company that specializes in basement flood cleanup. At Prime Restoration, we provide comprehensive flooded basement cleanup services to help you restore your home to its pre-loss condition. We offer 24/7 emergency services and our team is licensed and insured, so you can count on us to be there when you need us the most. We will work with your insurance company to ensure a smooth and stress-free claims process.
Basement flooding in the Salt Lake area can occur for several reasons. Our area is prone to heavy rainfall, snowmelt, and flash flooding, which can overwhelm the drainage systems and lead to basement flooding. Here are some of the most common reasons we see basement flooding and water damage:
- Heavy Rainfall & Flash Flooding: Heavy rainfall can quickly overwhelm the drainage systems, leading to basement flooding. During periods of heavy rainfall, the ground can become saturated, and water accumulates in low-lying areas. Unfortunately for homeowners, that oftentimes means basements!
- Snowmelt: Snowmelt is another common cause of basement flooding in our area. As the snow melts, it creates a large amount of water that needs to be properly directed away from your foundation. If the ground is already saturated from previous snowmelt or rainfall, the melted snow will have nowhere to go and can enter your basement, causing flooding.
- Sewage Backup: Sewage backup is another common cause of basement flooding, occurring when the sewer system becomes overloaded and water flows back into the home. Sewage backups can cause significant damage and if raw sewage is involved, it can create a health hazard.
- Sump Pump Failure: Sump pumps are designed to prevent basement flooding by removing excess water from the basement, but if your sump pump fails, water can accumulate in the basement and cause flooding.
- Foundation Cracks: Over time, the freeze-thaw cycle and water pressure can cause cracks to form in your foundation. These cracks allow water to enter the basement, which can lead to flooding.
- Plumbing Issues: Plumbing issues, such as frozen and burst pipes, can cause basement flooding. If a pipe bursts in the basement, water can quickly pool and cause significant damage.
When you call Prime Restoration for your basement flooding emergency, here’s what you can expect:
- Emergency Response: When you call our offices, you will be connected to a real, live person no matter what time of day it is. We will collect your basic information and determine if you are having an emergency flooding situation. If it is an emergency situation, our technicians will be dispatched out to your location ASAP. If it is a non-emergency we will schedule a time to come to your location the same day or the next day.
- Safety Assessment: The first step in basement flood cleanup is to assess the safety of the area. Flooded basements can be hazardous due to electrical shock, gas leaks, or structural damage. Our team will evaluate the area for potential hazards and take the necessary precautions to ensure everyone’s safety. We recommend you stay away from the flooded area until we get there.
- Water Extraction: The next step in basement flood cleanup is to remove all standing water from the area. Our team uses specialized equipment, such as water pumps and vacuums, to extract the water as quickly as possible.
- Dehumidification and Drying: Once the standing water has been removed, we use dehumidifiers and fans to dry out the area. This step is critical to prevent mold growth and to restore the humidity levels in the basement to their normal range. During this step, we will seal off the affected areas of your basement from the rest of your house if needed while we perform the rest of the cleanup.
- Content and Structural Cleaning: After the area has been dried out, we assess the damage to the contents and structure of the basement and document everything for your insurance claim. We will remove any damaged items, such as carpet or furniture, and clean and disinfect the area using specialized equipment and cleaning products.
- Restoration and Repair: The final step in basement flood cleanup is to restore the basement to its pre-flood condition. We use special water and humidity detectors to make sure there is no hidden water damage. This step may include repairing or replacing damaged flooring, walls, and ceilings, as well as addressing any structural damage that may have occurred during the flood.
At Prime Restoration, we are experienced in working with all major insurance companies and can help ensure that your insurance claim is handled properly. We will take photos and provide all necessary documentation to your insurance company. We’ve made our process smooth so that we can handle all the communication with your insurance company, and you can focus on getting your life back to normal.
While it may be tempting to try and “DIY” your basement flood cleanup, it is best to hire a professional flood damage restoration company. Flood damage restoration is a complex process that requires specialized knowledge and equipment.
At Prime Restoration, we have years of experience in cleaning up flood damage. We use best practices for water extraction, drying, dehumidification, and mold remediation. We also have the necessary equipment to work safely and complete the cleanup quickly and efficiently.
Give us a call at (801) 509-6899 or fill out the contact form on our website.