Provo, UT is no stranger to snow, and while it might be a welcomed sight for a while, it can quickly lead to water damage problems inside homes when it starts to melt. That’s not all. Flash floods in the area can also contribute to water damage.
Other homes in the area might simply be dealing with flooding from bad or broken pipes, plumbing backups, or faulty appliances. No matter the cause of the water damage, it’s important that homeowners know how to deal with the mess. Homeowners who are currently searching the internet for “water damage restoration near me” should read this guide on repair and prevention tips.
The Impact of Water Damage
Water damage restoration is far more than just mopping up some puddles. When water enters a home, it can damage the entire structure of the house, from the framing and drywall to the appliances and electrical wiring.
It can weaken areas of the home, lead to mold growth, and cause irreparable damage to certain materials. Since it is so destructive, it’s best if homeowners learn how to prevent it from happening in the first place. The following are just a few tips to prevent widespread water damage in a Provo, UT home:
- Maintain Appliances with Water Connections
- Check for Leaks in Roofs, Windows, and Doors
- Ensure Foundation or Basement is Waterproof
- Install a Sump Pump
- Remove Large Snow Piles from the Foundation of the Home
- Clean Drains Regularly
Factors that Affect the Water Damage Restoration Process
When homeowners begin to repair the water damage, they will notice that there are many factors that can change how long the process takes and how much it will cost. They can contact a “water damage restoration company near me” to get a more accurate quote. The professionals can inspect it and provide more information based on:
- The Volume of Water: If the water damage was caused by a slow leak that was caught right away, it’s easy to clean. Hidden water damage or major flooding, however, can take several weeks or months to restore, and the cost is much higher.
- The Source of the Water: The difficulty of cleaning water damage also depends on where it came from. If it is from a clean source, it is easy to restore, but if it comes from gray or blackwater, it could take much longer to clean up the contaminants and hazards.
- The Amount of Time: Finally, the cost of water damage will depend on how long the water has sat in the home. If it’s been there longer than 24 hours, it may have developed secondary problems that will be more time-consuming to repair.
Tips for Restoring Provo Homes with Water Damage
Whether homeowners decide to DIY or look for “water damage restoration near me,” it is important that they handle the situation with care. The following tips can help to yield the best results.
Check the Area for Mold
Since mold can grow so quickly in a home affected by water damage, it’s crucial that homeowners or restoration crews take the time to look for it. Some strains of mold are especially harmful to human health, so if mold is spotted, it should be treated with care. The proper protective equipment should be worn when cleaning a house with serious mold infestations. In these cases, it’s always best to leave the job to a trained professional.
Begin the Drying Process
If it is safe for the homeowner to enter the home, they should start the drying process right away. The faster that the water can be removed from the house, the better chance there will be of salvaging materials. For small projects, household dehumidifiers and fans may be enough to do the trick. If there is major water damage, truck-mounted pumps, commercial dehumidifiers, and large air movers might be required.
Remove Any Damaged Materials
The priority of water damage restoration should be to preserve the structure of the house. This means that wet flooring should be ripped out along with any other porous materials like insulation. Removing these wet materials will protect the subfloors and framing from rot.
Disinfect Affected Area
Finally, it’s important to disinfect all surfaces in the affected area, whether the water is clean or not. This step will prevent mold growth and eliminate other bacteria that could cause health problems.
Learn More About How to Address Water Damage Restoration
Provo homeowners who need “water damage restoration near me” should contact Prime Restoration right away. They are available 24/7 for emergency services, so customers can call whenever water damage strikes. They also have a simple online form that customers can submit for a free quote.