Water-damage events can inflict some surprising effects on your life and sense of well-being. A burst pipe or flash flood might influence your perspective and lifestyle long after the restoration process ends. Our team at Prime Restoration provides flood damage repair services in Spanish Fork and its surrounding areas. To help you know what to expect, we’ve listed a few often-forgotten effects you might experience following flood damage.
#1. Damage to Your Household Systems
Floods introduce water into areas it should never go, including networks essential to a modern lifestyle. Flood water often contains contaminants that destroy components integral to running those systems. You may be unable to safely switch on the lights or turn the air down without assistance from a repair service.
Keep an eye out for the following:
- HVAC deterioration: If flood waters rise high enough, they can infiltrate your HVAC system. An HVAC system exposed to excessive moisture often develops rust in the air ducts. Electrical components can also short-circuit, damaging other parts of the system.
- Electrical system breakdown: Water and electricity are a dangerous combination. Water conducts electricity, transforming your home into one big shock hazard.
- Plumbing corrosion: Your plumbing network consists of materials designed to handle tap water. Flood waters introduce potentially corrosive chemicals into your plumbing system. You might have increased plumbing problems as a result.
#2. Decreased Property Value
If you ever attempt to sell your property following a flood event, you’ll face a surplus of extra to-dos compared to sellers of undamaged properties. When water is left standing inside a building, it leaves significant cosmetic damage behind. Visible flooding indicators include:
- Depreciated paint and wallpaper
- Warped walls, floors, and other surfaces
- Water stains on the ceiling, floor, or walls
- Musty smells in heavily affected rooms
This damage immediately decreases the property value and can drive away quality homebuyers.
#3. Mold Damage
Numerous mold species flourish in undisturbed, damp areas. Once a mold infestation takes hold of your property, you’ll struggle to eliminate it without extensive professional assistance. Not only does mold growth take a financial toll on families, but it also causes significant health problems, such as:
- Chronic sinus inflammation
- Allergic reactions
- Rashes, itchy eyes, and irritated mucous membranes
- Severe health complications
- Carcinogenic effects
#4. Structural Concerns
Even if you can easily mitigate cosmetic concerns, you may struggle to repair severe structural damage. Floods bring a mercilessly forceful flow of water, which can render buildings unsafe and useless. Flood-damaged buildings sometimes sustain the following:
- Foundation erosion: Moving water washes dirt away through a process called erosion. Unfortunately, this process can affect your home’s stability. A building’s foundation may shift or deteriorate when the water removes too much dirt from the surrounding area.
- Deteriorating support beams: Flood water can infiltrate wooden structures. Therefore, wooden supports can become warped or weakened, making the building less sturdy.
- Warped siding: Some siding materials are absorbent. When these structures soak up excess water, they buckle and warp as they dry out.
- Soaked insulation: Your insulation protects your home’s energy efficiency and comfort. However, many insulation products can easily absorb liquids, deteriorating their effectiveness.
- Damaged roofs: If your roof sustains damage during a flood event, it could allow water to seep into your home via the ceiling.
#5. Damaged Belongings
You might forget about your prized possessions in your rush to protect your home, leaving you with water-logged memories, soggy photos, and destroyed documents. Ask your flood damage restoration company whether you can safely traverse the water. If you can, salvage as many items as possible.
Lightly dampened belongings can quickly dry. Request recommendations or instructions for restoring moderately soaked items. Heavily damaged belongings may harbor mold and diseases that could affect your family’s health if you keep them.
#6. Health Concerns
When you happen upon a watery disaster, you’ll likely panic about the state of your property. However, floods can have dire health consequences without proper restoration services. Building materials and fabrics can retain moisture for long periods, allowing mold and bacteria to infest throughout the building within 24 hours.
Additionally, numerous insects and rodents make themselves at home near sources of standing water. They may carry devastating diseases that threaten both healthy and immunocompromised people.
Choose Prime Restoration for Proactive Flood Damage Repair
Saving your property, health, and sanity starts with prompt flood damage repair from Prime Restoration. Our team mitigates and removes excess water. Then, we’ll work with your insurance company to begin the restoration process.
Have you found flood damage in your home? Call (801) 509-6899 for peace of mind at any time.