What would you do if your water pipes burst in the middle of the night, flooding your entire home? If this happens, it’s important to remain calm and take the necessary steps to clean up the water as quickly as possible. Water damage restoration services can help minimize the damage and get your home back to normal. In order to ensure the safety of you and your family, Prime Restoration has put together a list of emergency water cleanup tips homeowners should be aware of.
Here are some few general emergency water cleanup tips for you:
- Keep All The Children Away – The first emergency water cleanup tip is to keep all children away from emergency water cleanup areas. A child’s curiosity may get them into an unsafe emergency water situation . Emergency water clean up should only be completed by adults who are capable of understanding emergency safety rules and precautions .
- Turn Off The Power – To begin emergency water cleanup , turn off the power at the main breaker switch. Water can carry electricity which can lead to electrocution if not handled correctly for emergency water cleanup . This emergency water cleanup tip will ensure no electricity is running through the emergency water cleanup area.
- Unplug Appliances – All appliances and emergency lighting in emergency water cleanup areas should be unplugged to begin emergency water clean up . This main emergency water cleanup step ensures that no electricity is running through any appliance or emergency light during the emergency water clean up process, meaning they will not cause electrocution if there are exposed wires.
- Wear Protective Gear – When performing emergency water cleanup you must wear protective gear to ensure you are not further exposed to the contaminated water. Protective gear includes gloves, boots, rubber aprons and protective eyewear.
- Prepare All You Supplies – Prepare all your supplies before you start any emergency water cleanup. This includes buckets, rags, mops and sponges. Fill the buckets with water and a little bit of dishwashing liquid.
- Use Additional Cleaning Supplies as Needed – You may use additional cleaning supplies as needed during the emergency water cleanup process including disinfectants, detergents, fungicides and deodorizers. Make sure to follow all manufacturer instructions when using these additional cleaning supplies.
- Remove Any Standing Water – With the use of your buckets, rags and mops , remove any standing water. After removing the excess water, cover the area with a few layers of towels to absorb any remaining moisture. Leave this towel layer in place overnight.
- Dry the Area Thoroughly – Dry wet surfaces with towels in order to prevent mold growth and other water damage to your home. Repeat this process until you no longer see any dampness in the carpets or floors.
- Remove & Dry Furniture – You need to remove any furniture that has been soaked by emergency water. Any upholstered pieces of furniture must be thrown away, but other pieces may be able to be dried properly with minimal hair or dust loss. In order for your drying efforts to be effective, all pieces of furniture need to be moved from their current location and placed outside where they can dry thoroughly in a sunny area.
- Call the Professionals – If you can’t handle the emergency by yourself you should call emergency water cleanup professionals. After emergency services, your home may need professional emergency water damage restoration and professional emergency water cleanup. So the sooner you make the call after emergency water damage has happened, the better chances you have to prevent further damages and losses.
In the event of an emergency water damage situation, it is not always easy to know what steps to take. This article has given you a few general tips for handling this type of problem so that your home can be cleaned up quickly and easily in case there is no alternative but to tackle the job yourself.
Emergency water damage restoration and emergency water cleanup however, can be a much more difficult service to provide for yourself. In emergency cases, it is advisable to make the emergency call as soon as possible so emergency services from Prime Restoration can get you back on your feet ASAP.
The sooner emergency water damage restoration and emergency water cleanup gets started, the less likely you are to have major structural or other types of problems down the road. If you aren’t able to handle this type of problem by yourself in an emergency situation, don’t hesitate to contact us for help at any time.
An Emergency Water Cleanup Company Serving Utah
Contact Prime Restoration now at (801) 509-6899 for 24 hour emergency water cleanup, fire damage restoration, or mold treatment, or receive a quick quotation from our website. Our water damage restoration company will come to your Utah home in 30 to 60 minutes.
Learn More Information About Water Restoration Process.